Pest Free Business
What does your commercial food business say about you?
Whether you are a take away shop, restaurant or café food hygiene is vital for any business owner who is in the food industry as without customers you wouldn’t be in business today.
Do you have regular pest control on your business?
Have you seen pest like rats, cockroaches, ants or birds in your business?
What can you do to avoid a pest outbreak in your business?
Could your business survive if you were to have pest outbreak or being fined and put on the name and shame website?
In today’s society it is easy for potential customers to search if a business has been placed on the Food Authority’s Name and Shame registry therefore potentially losing you customers for a mistake that you could have avoided.
Pest control is so vital in the food industry and anyone who owns a business has the duty of care to make sure that food hygiene and a pest free environment is in place at their business.
What are some steps you can do to make sure that your business is pest free?
- Install flyscreens to windows and doors
- Seal any gaps, holes and cracks and crevices in your building
- Have an plan of action once your business closes for the day
- Designate an employee to make sure that other employees pulling their weight when it comes to cleaning and keeping food safe at the end of each day
- have regular training available for all of your employees so they are aware of the dos and don’ts when it comes to hygiene and pest management
- Keep food in air tight containers and do not store food on the floor
- Keep your garbage area neatly and always take the rubbish out at the end of each day
- Have regular mini inspections, go around the premises and see if you can see any areas which are affected by pest or have pest droppings.
- Being on a regular pest maintenance program with a pest control company who is licensed
When cleaning your business be sure to make sure that you get all fats and oils from those hard to reach places and that all bench tops, counters, floors etc are cleaned with the correct cleaning agent. For cups, plates and utensils make sure that they are sterilised in hot water and the correct detergent is placed in the dishwasher.
It is very easy for an outbreak of pest to occur without you realising. Say for instance German cockroaches you see them at night time and depending of the infestation you could very well see them in the day as they are spilling from their harbourage spots. For every female German cockroach you have they have the potential to breed hundreds before you even realise that you have an issue. Female German cockroaches breed every 5 to 6 weeks and once their egg capsule hatches between 40 to 50 baby cockroaches will be running around. Their lifecycle can be hard to eradicate if the outbreak is quite high. Usually you will need to be put on a maintenance program by having an initial service then a follow up service 6 weeks later then depending on the conditions of your business you have services every 6 weeks to 3 months to maintain a pest free environment.
Pest Free Business