Each and every one of us has been bitten at some point in our lives by mosquitoes.
That annoying itchy feeling after we have been bitten by mosquitoes is the worst, scratching like a mad man whether it be on the bus to work or the comfort in our homes.
With mosquitoes come diseases depending where the mosquitoes have come from. Only female mosquitoes will bite their unsuspecting victims.
The diseases that are associated with mosquitoes are:
- Yellow fever
- Dengue fever
- Ross river virus
- Murray valley encephalitis
- Barmah forest virus
What attracts mosquitoes to bite us and how can we get rid of them in a natural way?
When mosquitoes bite their victims they will also inject their salvia into the skin to prevent your blood clotting. Their salvia is what causes the itch once we have been bitten.
- Lemon scented geranium is great, mosquitoes can’t stand this plant
- Remove any water source which is on your property as this is the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes
- Install fly screens over windows and a screen door both for your front and back door
- In a small dish place left over coffee which has been grounded and mix with a small amount of water
- Citronella candles are great if you are having a BBQ
- Get a small dish and place one camphor tablet and dilute with water (you can get these tablets from chemist warehouse
- Put a cover over your pool, if you have a baby pool turn it over and turn buckets upside down
- Put pets water bowls away at the end of the day so mosquitoes cannot breed
- In an oil burner place one teaspoon of vanilla oil and one teaspoon of olive oil and let the aromas deter the mozzies
- Catnip plants and oils will also work a treat
- Lemon eucalyptus oil in an oil burner just watch the mosquitoes disappear