Ten facts about termites that you may not know.
- Termites communicate by using their pheromones, each colony of termites have their own scent.
- If termites feel threatened they will start tapping away to let other termites know that danger is ahead.
- Termites are actually very beneficial to the environment as they break through plants and trees and turning it to new soil.
- Now this may sound gross but termites will actually feed off each other’s faeces.
- Termite soldiers and workers are blind, only reproductive termites can see as when they become Alates they will fly off in search for a new location to start breeding.
- Termites are in no way related to ants but are actually related to the cockroach.
- Termite queens can lay up to 30,000 eggs per day and can live up to 25 years.
- There is more termites on this earth than humans.
- Termites never stop to rest and will work day in and day out for the rest of their lives.
- Termite Alates will usually swarm for around thirty minutes and this is done in the late spring to summer often after a little bit of rain. With the humidity in the air it gives them just enough time to find a new home to start their colony.